Total Pageviews

Monday 25 February 2013

This and That... the Usual Old Rubbish!! ....


I'm off to the cinema with a friend  this evening to see "A Song For Marion".  We saw the preview last week, and it looks very good.  
1hr 33min‎‎ - Rated PG‎‎ - Comedy/Drama‎‎ - English‎
Director: Paul Andrew Williams - Cast: Terence StampVanessa RedgraveChristopher Eccleston,Gemma ArtertonAnne ReidCalita Rainford
A wonderfully, heart-warming story of a loving marriage between grumpy pensioner Arthur and the ever-cheerful Marion. Cantankerous but doting husband Arthur does not share his wife Marion's passion for performing. While she is happy to sing her heart out with the unconventional local choir, Arthur would prefer to hide himself away and complain about how embarrassing it all is. But when heartbreak strikes, Arthur is forced to re-think his outlook on life. With the steady perseverance of choir director Elizabeth, Arthur begins to find a way to come out of his shell and in the process forms a touching relationship with Elizabeth as well as a desire to build bridges with his estranged son James.
Tomorrow evening, we have a meeting of our Book Club - we meet every six weeks - and the book we will be discussing this time is The Kashmir Shawl by Rosie Thomas.  I absolutely loved it.  A lot of the story takes place in Kashmir in India, although it starts off in Wales.  Mair's father has recently died and when packing up the house, along with her siblings, they find an exquisite shawl, along with a lock of hair.  Mair takes it upon herself to return to India, where her grandparents were Missionaries, to try to solve the reason why her grandmother had kept the shawl, and exactly what it meant to her.
I must admit, I do enjoy stories where you have action taking place in the current time, but also a story going on in years gone past.  The author was very clever in bringing the two storylines together.  I thoroughly recommend it!
Have any of you heard of Dropbox.  I first heard of it at Christmas, when I had a new Samsung Galaxy 10 tablet as a Christmas present.  It's a wonderful App, and I'm amazed just how clever it is.  I have all my photos stored on my laptop, but by using the Dropbox App, I can call all the photos up on my Tablet and, also, my mobile phone.  Clever stuff, all this new technology.
The good thing about it is that, although you have access to all your photos, it is not actually taking up any space on the Tablet or mobile phone. As I said before, amazing!!
I have found a good thing on the camera of my new mobile phone, the Apple iPhone 5 , and, that is, that it has a panoramic feature.  This will be really useful when I'm on holiday looking at wonderful old buildings.  But, just to give you an idea, I took a photo of the lounge whilst I was sat in the armchair the other evening, and here is the result!

We have an open fireplace and love to have the log fire roaring away, but, my goodness, it certainly eats the logs.  We can usually get through six log basketfuls in an evening!  It's not too much of a problem, because we have so many trees in the garden, I don't think there will be a shortage of wood for quite a while.
Anyway, we are looking into having a Wood Burner installed.  They're supposed to be very good, and I think it will go quite well with the house. 
I think that's about all the news from this end for the time being.  See you again soon!
Because of time, I know that I'm not very good in replying to comments, but I would just like to say that I love receiving all of them.  They all give me great pleasure, especially my faithful Followers that leave a comment on every single post.  Thank you all my friends.  
Because friendship is on my mind quite a lot at the moment, I leave you with a couple of quotes.  Take care.



Friendship quotes courtesy of Pinterest.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoyed reading your varied blog, hope you enjoy the film.

Shady Del Knight said...

Here I am, dear friend Thisisme, one of your many faithful followers and friends! Hallo Hallo Hallo! Terence Stamp and Vanessa Redgrave are fine veteran actors and I'm sure you'll enjoy A Song For Marion.

I loved that panoramic view of your family room! You have such a beautiful home. With 90 degree heat to contend with I won't be burning any logs in the fireplace any time soon. In fact, my house doesn't even have a fireplace! (LOL)

Thank you for the great quote you posted about the value of having a few real friends rather than a plethora of "click-on" friends. You are indeed one of my dearest and best friends and I treasure you! Have a wonderful day, dear Thisisme!

Becca's Dirt said...

Sounds like loads of fun with a good friend. I like lots of features on the new iphones. Love them.

Terra said...

I hope this movie comes to the US so I can see it; I told my husband about it when I read this post.
Nice to meet you.

Olive said...

I love the 1000 small things quote. I have taken some panoramic shots with my iPhone. Usually I do not think about it. Thanks for reminding me. There are so many apps it makes me dizzy. Thank you sweet friend for you comment about Clovis, it means so much to us. hugs, Olive

SkippyMom said...

You ALWAYS have the best quotes. And you've been singing the words back to me for quite a while my friend. It sure did help to pull me through so I could go back to singing it myself. Gosh, I love you. Thank You This. :)

And what cute feet you have. ::giggling:: Your lounge look so comfy and inviting. My folks had a wood burning insert in their fireplace and boy, did it keep their home toasty warm through the winter. And they had a pretty large two story. You'll love it.

Thanks again for everything. You are the epitome of what a true friend really is. God Bless you sweetheart. <3

Claudia Moser said...

No rubbish found in your entry my dear! Enjoyed it very much, and must say I love Vanessa Redgrave! She is such an amazing actress, do tell me how the movie was! Happy Monday

Knitty said...

The first part of the movie description sounds like many couples I know.

I will look for that book. I like two stories or two time lines converging.

Thanks for sharing the quotes. You are good example of their meaning.

Unknown said...

I love your header photo, makes us looking forward to spring. Going to the cinema is fun, enjoy it.
There's many cool apps to use to store your pictures, dropbox is great. I am a little exited will book tickets for the opera in March, during the past year I haven't really been doing much.
Enjoy your week x

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

That movie sounds like one I would enjoy........and that panoramic view thing on your phone is just bloody awesome, I wonder if my daughter has that on her phone she has an iphone but not sure what version it is......
4 or 5

Belle said...

The movie sounds wonderful; I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Those are two of the best actors around.

The books sounds great too. I like a book with a bit of mystery in it. It must be fun to belong to a book club. Shady is right, you have a beautiful, cosy home.

Sally Wessely said...

I love your recommendations. I wonder if that movie will be shown in the US. I hope so.

Ok, now you have convinced me to get the iPhone 5. I had no idea it had the panoramic view on it. I love the photo of the family room. The room is so you! It is warm, cozy, comforting, and welcoming. I love your little toesies in the center of the photo. Are those shoes or socks? They are so cute!

I can't respond to all my comments either. I think most people understand that.

Grammy Goodwill said...

Hope you enjoyed the movie. Did you get popcorn? That's my favorite part of any movie. I don't go very often, but my dear daughter and I did see Les Miserables.

Linda O'Connell said...

Nice photo and great post today.

orchid0324 said...

Dearest Diane,
Wow, you sure are really active lady and I admire you that yo are eager to learn more and more. I will check Dropbox; thank you very much for the information. Wonderful for you being the member of the Book Club♡♡♡ I think I should read more books p;)
OMG, GORGEOUS lounge; I wish I could lie down with you (*^▽^*)~*☆ I have never seen fireplace before, haha.

So sorry for my belated comment, my father is ok but I needed some time for his affairs after my former post…

Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan to my dear friend in England, xoxo Miyako*

Unknown said...

Hubby and I go to the movies often, but this year, so many good ones came out at the same time, we missed lots. Now I am waiting for the DVD's so I can catch up. We are half way thru the last episode of the season of Downton Abby. We turned in early last night. The second half will be after dinner tonight. How will I ever wait until the new season starts up again????
Rosemary

Manzanita said...

Good that you are getting out with friends. I haven't heard of this movie. Hope you enjoy it.
You have a living room with space. I have a wood burning stove but I rarely light it as I'm too lazy to then keep bringing in wood.
I was just talking about Dropbox with someone. I, too, am always amazed at techie things.