Total Pageviews

Sunday 7 November 2010

Leaves and yet more leaves!!

Dear Blog, Some of you may wonder why I start off by saying "Dear Blog", but I find that it helps with the inspiration if I treat it as writing a letter to someone!! Just thought that I would explain that.

I love Autumn, and the colours on the trees this year have been amazing.  However, what I do NOT like is when the leaves fall to the  ground! When the ground is wet and covered with leaves, it can be very slippery and, apparently, this  is one of the busiest times of the in the Casualty Departments of hospitals up and down the country, because of people coming in with broken bones, after falling on wet leaves.

Earlier this morning, I was out in the garden sweeping up the leaves, and this is the main reason why I don't like them.  I suppose we must have fifty trees in our garden and, from now until early December, I shall be out there like a whirling dervish, trying to get rid of the ...... things! 

Keeping control of the leaves!!

In my dreams, I have this lovely south-facing walled garden with rambling roses all around, and I just potter around tending my terracotta pots of assorted coloured geraniums, AND NO TREES!!!

12 comments:

LindyLouMac said...

That sounds like my sort of dream, but then on the other hand that will come when we are no longer young enough or fit enough for leaf sweeping!
Meantime keep sweeping and remind yourself of how amazing the colours of nature are and that you do appreciate them.

Southhamsdarling said...

You're right of course LindyLou. I am very blessed that I am still able to sweep those lovely leaves!!! (Still like my dream though!!)

BB said...

This made me think of Doris and John. John was the most adorable guy. He was small framed, worked as an executive all his life and loved the outdoors whenever he was home. Except leaves. He hated them. His saying was "The Lord Giveth and the Lord can Taketh Away. This reminded me of him. Thanks.

SkippyMom said...

Leaves can be the bane of my husband's job. Pooldad works [and has for 33 years] in the swimming pool business and this time of year it is horrendous because all the leaves are dropping and people, inevitably, call and whine "My pool is fulllll of leaaaaves, can you come round to clean it today?" Well yes if he didn't have his guys going to the 96 other pools that are full of leaves. Go grab your net and start scooping. We'll be out a week from Friday. Gah.

They are pretty tho' - I do have to say I love fall for all the colors.

Would love to see more pics of the garden when spring rolls around. I cannot garden to save my life - I kill everything - so I live vicariously through talented people such as yourself. hee

Southhamsdarling said...

Barb, I liked John's saying about "The Lord Giveth and the Lord can Taketh away"! And nice that you were reminded of him today.

Southhamsdarling said...

SkippyMom - poor Pooldad!! He has my every sympathy! I feel like I'm drowning in the flipping leaves sometimes!! I'm sure there will be more pics in the spring!

Gawgus things... said...

Eurgh! What a never ending job. I don't have any trees in my garden, but I still get the leaves - from my neighbour's - grrr!

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Gawgus things. That's probably even worse than having to collect them from your own garden!

ANichols.Too said...

Although our combination of fall leaves and hilly driveway is a pain when they're wet, the thing that makes us dream of a house not surrounded by trees is the fact we've had two land on our place during storms!

Southhamsdarling said...

Oh my goodness Too = that must have been pretty frightening all round!! Fortunately, nothing like that has ever happened here.

Jumble Mash said...

But the photos are so beautiful! I don't rake leaves, mostly because I don't really care if they are in the yard or not. And because my dog loves to play in them. And snow is starting to fall so they will all be covered up anyways! :)

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi Jumble Mash. Glad you liked the photoes. The only reason I try to keep them off the grass, is that all the gardening programmes say that, if left on the grass too long, it can ruin it!