Total Pageviews

Monday 25 October 2010

Books on my Christmas pressie wish list (Book 2)

Elizabeth Buchan
My second book choice comes under the heading of Popular Fiction, and is entitled "Separate Beds" by Elizabeth Buchan.  I thoroughly enjoyed the hugely successful "Revenge of the Middle-Aged Woman" and look forward to her latest novel.   This one is set against the backdrop of recession, which will be (or has already been) affecting so many people, especially in view of the Government's (very necessary) spending cuts.  The novel covers loss of a career and the lessening self-worth that this involves, the plight of the elderly unable to afford residential care, and the increasing number of twentysomethings who find that they have to return to live in the family home, as they are unable to find either a job, or somewhere to live. 

The plight of the middle-class, middle-aged woman, has long been at the heart of the author's best-selling novels, and I am sure that this one will head straight to the top of the best-sellers list.

3 comments:

BB said...

I am living that life right now. It's sad and I won't read this one. No offense to you!!! I just need to read things that take my mind off of the everyday woes like needing doctors and new knees and no job and no health insurance. Sucks. It does sound like an interesting book though. I'll keep it on the back burner.

Southhamsdarling said...

OMG! Sorry Bouncin' Barb that the book I wanted to read reflects your life right now. Can't be nice, and I feel for you. Is there any possibility of things getting any better for you?

SkippyMom said...

Sometimes a book that resonates with you can be a good thing. There are so many people experiencing this right now ::waving:: but the book could, perhaps, be a help. I don't try to depress myself, but I wonder what the author's message may be?