Total Pageviews

Wednesday 28 December 2016

Farewell 2016....


 

So my friends,  another year is almost at an end, and we will soon move into 2017. I hope you all enjoyed the festive season amongst those you love.  I don't think 2016 has been one of our better years. So many famous people left us, starting right at the beginning of the year, and continuing right up to the end of the year. Many died far too young, and that is always a cause for sadness. 

There was political upheaval, particularly in my Country and the United States of America, and I'm sure there is more of that to come in other countries around the world. Then, of course, we had the terrible atrocities caused by terrorists, with so much loss of life.  Major terrorist attacks occurred in Brussels, Nice, Syria and Orlando.  These are the ones that made headlines, but there were, in fact, more than 100 terrorist attacks in 2016.  

We can only pray that there will be more peace and understanding in the year of 2017. We must all stay strong and continue to believe that good will overcome evil....it has to...for the sake of  our children and our grandchildren. One of my favourite words is 'kindness' but, at the beginning of a new year, the word 'hope' always springs to mind. 

 

Anyway, as you know, this Blog isn't supposed to be all about doom and gloom. We get enough of that when we watch the News every day, don't we?! Why do the Media almost always dwell on the bad things that are happening around us. Why aren't all the good things celebrated?  All the unsung heroes....ordinary, everyday people, that spend their days doing good and caring for others in their home or in their communities.  

I suppose, at the end of each year, we all feel a little reflective, thinking of times gone past, and family and friends that are no longer with us. Perhaps we should all learn to 'seize the day" or Carpe Diem as a Roman poet said back in the dark ages!! As for me, on a personal level, I will be celebrating (if that's the right word!) my 70th birthday in April.  I have lost many friends who have died far too young, so I feel blessed to be approaching that age.  I still like to think that I'm young at heart, and I don't think that will change!  I think we all know people who seem to be middle-aged when they are  only in their thirties, whereas there are other people in their 90's who are an inspiration to us all.  Me? I intend to wear purple, and grow old disgracefully. 

So then, at the end of this Post, it only remains for me to wish you all a happy, healthy, peaceful and fulfilling New Year.  Let's make this year an  amazing one  for all of us.  We can do this!

 

 

 

 
New Year quotes courtesy of Pinterest.com

10 comments:

Sush said...

Excellent Post as always, Diane. At therapy the other day everyone in the room was saying 2016 has been an incredibly bad one. However we all are looking forward to 2017. Seven is a lucky number so it should be a good year! At least I'm holding on to that! Loooking forward to your birthday celebration...I'm sure it well be a fete!
Happy New Yesr a few days early!
Hugs and Loves~Loves~Loves~

Glenda said...

I agree, Diane. There's been so much bad! Thank you for reminding us not to dwell on the unhappy things that we can't change, but to get ourselves out and about changing things that we can! HOPE! There it is! Happy New Year, Twin!

Southhamsdarling said...

Thank you so much for your very nice comment, Sush. it's true, isn't it, that 2016 has not been good at all. Like you, I shall hang on to that number 7 and approach the New Year feeling positive and full of HOPE! My wish for you is that you may return to good health again, as I know what a trial this year has been for you. Happy New Year to you and all that lovely family of yours ❤️

Southhamsdarling said...

Lovely to see you here today, Glenda. I love it when all my old friends turn up! I've said so many times that all we can do is keep our own little corner of the world as kind and loving as we possibly can. Wishing you and all your family a very happy New Year. I know that you had your own losses this year. Let's hope we all keep healthy in 2017!

Suzanne said...

I love your summary of 2016, and, did not realize we had so many terrorist attacks this past year. And, I feel, there are never any plausible answers for these attacks. Hope, my friend, is the key to begin this new year.

I was a bit sad during the Christmas holiday, missing Karo, and feeling that loss. It was a great and fun time with Scooter though, and that helped a lot. It does seem that we lost many more loved ones too young in 2016.

AND, I'm with you, Thisisme! Grow older disgracefully (notice I said older) You look great in purple, and I'm wearing more red than I used to. I dance in my kitchen to classic rock music every day (need to lose some weight)!

Happy New Year, Thisisme! Thank you for the great quotes! Will see you soon! ♥

Southhamsdarling said...

Hello Suzanne, my Texan friend. I'm sorry you were sad at Christmas, but that is only natural. I'm sure you miss Karo every day, but that loss is always felt much more at this time of the year. I'm so happy that you were able to spend some time with Scooter. It's a magical time of year for them at this age, isn't it?! Love that you dance in your kitchen like that to the rock music. I must admit that I do listen to an awful lot of 60's music. Happy New Year to you too, Suzanne. Thank you for dropping in ❤️

Unknown said...

Hello my awesome friend. 2016 was certainly a year of many sad occurences around the world wasn't it? There were many good times too but we never hear much about that in the media do we? Someone once told my husband that if we wrote a newspaper with nothing but good news, it would never sell! I think that person might have had a point there. My year has been constant and my friends have filled up my days. I have a lot to be thankful for and I am. Like you, I want 2017 to start off with a lot of hope and good happening around the world. Let's aim for that shall we?!!

Southhamsdarling said...

Hello Bee Bee, o awesome one! Yes, it's been a funny old year, but we still have a lot to be thankful for, and, yes, we must all hope for peace and good things in the coming year. Wishing you a very happy and healthy New Year.

Linda O'Connell said...

Your words, your hope filled post, your quotes and cartoons, all made me smile and feel there may be hope, especially if we all practice kindness in 2017. Happy New Year Diane. I love seeing how the children have grown. That photo of the ladies wins!

Southhamsdarling said...

Hello Linda. Lovely to see you here again. I'm so glad you enjoyed the post. I also enjoy seeing little Liam growing ! I agree with you about the photo of the ladies! Glad it made you smile. Happy New Year Linda.