Total Pageviews

Tuesday 22 September 2015

.....On To Port Isaac, Home of Doc Martin!


So we are still in Cornwall, but driving along a pretty little road into Port Isaac, a picturesque fishing village on the Atlantic coast of North Cornwall.


These days, the little village has become very well known as Portwenn, the fictional village featured in Doc Martin, and where filming of the series takes place. Diane is a fan of this charming series, as am I, so it was rather nice to go and see where all the action takes place, much of which is based around the little harbour...



My goodness, there is a very steep hill leading down to the village.  Cars have to be parked at the top of the hill, because of the very narrow streets.  Perhaps during the peak holiday season, there is a little bus that runs to and fro, but it certainly wasn't there on the day we visited. Going down was bad enough, but we were on our last legs by the time we had climbed back up again, after a very pleasant few hours looking round the village and taking our photos. Luckily, Diane was still able to laugh ....


Can you spot the sea right down in the distance?!


The little souvenir shop with photos of the cast of the series ...


I am delighted to say that we found a couple of little tea shoppes!...



Here is a photo of the little narrow streets. You can see now why you can't take your car into the village...


The crystal clear waters around the coast of Cornwall always look so blue...


Here is a photo of Doc Martin's house, up on the hillside...



I did wonder what the villagers thought about the hordes of tourists who converge on them every year. Do they look on it as a curse, or a blessing?  I suppose all the local businesses do very well out of it. Here in England we are presently watching Series 7 of this comedy drama, and all the characters continue to amuse us in their own unique English way!

In my next Post, we will be returning to Devon, with a boat trip up the beautiful River Dart and a visit to the summer residence of the famous Crime Writer, Agatha Christie. Hope to see you then!

10 comments:

doodles n daydreams said...

Thanks for the tour, I too enjoy this series, who doesn't! I'm pleased you both survived the trek up and down the village, what a lovely place. Enjoy the rest of Diane's stay.

Diana

Southhamsdarling said...

Thank you Diana. I'm so glad you are enjoying our little tour. Diane was actually here back in April of this year, but I'm delighted to say that I am flying out to America again TOMORROW!

flowers on my table said...

It looks a lovely little place and just as it appears on Doc. Martin (which we love in our house). You are the hostess with the mostest Diane! xx

Southhamsdarling said...

Thank you Linda. That did make me smile!!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I think your right about the tourists but how else would they survive. As you know my friend has a place to rent out there, along with other people. They need the tourists also with Doc Martin filmed there, thriving village. Did you see the Potters place high up, that is own by my friend's friends. I think he also sings with the Fishermans friends. Oh my those streets are so narrow , I have seen them all trying to get from one side to the other , and not backing up. Especially the street near the Fish shop. I am sure Diane was overjoyed to go and see Port Isaac, as a big fan. xo

BB said...

I am so enjoying the tour all over again as I did the first time on FB. It's just such a beautiful place! Someday! XX

Southhamsdarling said...

Thank you for your very interesting comment, Anne. Yes, I did see the Potters place, and you're right, it certainly is a thriving little village now, and will be for many years to come. I'm sure.

Southhamsdarling said...

Hi BB. Always God to see YIU, and yes, I'm enjoying the holiday all over again as well! Bringing back some lovely memories.

Sush said...

So delightful, each place you bring us is THE ONE! Then on to the next and I think, oh yes, I could so be thrilled to visit there! What fun I'm having vicariously! Thanks for the cheap thrills, lol as my dimes are being saved for a visit in December to have a Christmas cookie baking weekend with my siblings! Something I haven't done in about 40 years. Not sure exactly how many are going to make it, but I'm so looking forward to the trip! xoxox

Southhamsdarling said...

Always pleased to provide you with cheap thrills, Sush! Diane said that it really was a trip of a lifetime for her, and that made me very happy. Well, that sounds like such a wonderful trip you have planned with your siblings. I know you will enjoy every minute, and I can imagine the fun you'll all have!